Friday, April 17, 2009

New Meds for Mam

I started mam on her new meds yesterday.."Aricept". It's not a miricle cure or anything but will hopefully delay the deterioration and slow things down a bit. The chances of it working are only 1 in 3 but I'm still hopeful. Even if it can stop her mood swings I'll be happy, I think that she's too far gone tho to make a real difference. That's the problem with Stage 2 Alzheimers, no-one knows how long it lasts, it all depends on the individual really. It can be anywhere from 6 months to 10 years, no-one knows. God, the idea of being here with her for another 10 years is not something I wish to think about. I already feel as tho I have "Sympathy" Alzheimers as I'm forgetting things and finding it hard to remember stuff......mind you I always was a bit dizzy anyway LOL.

This morning I awoke to Mam on the fone and gathered that it was to my "Lovely" Uncle Eddie......What a snake in the grass! Mother was asking him for Grandads fone number even tho grandad is dead over 40 years 1800-Heaven perhaps?? My uncle proceeded to give her her OWN telephone number, not even saying "Now, you know he's not around anymore, he passed away". Mother was saying "so, I can reach him on this number can I?" and obviously on his end he was saying yes!!! What is wrong with people??? Does he not even think about the consequences? Never mind the fact that she will be trying to call herself and constantly get an engaged tone furthering her belief that her father is still alive!!!!

This is the uncle (her brother-in-law, not a brother) that refuses to tell her I'm her daughter when she calls super stressed to ask about the strange woman in the house! Upon calling him last week to ask him nicely to re-iterate ALL THE TIME I am her daughter, his reply was " sure she doesn't know anything, I'll tell her whatever I like, it doesn't make a difference, she'll forget it anyway". After once again explaining the fact that he was undermining my position as her live in Full time Carer, confusing her more and also upsetting her, never mind the fact that I was her daughter, a grown adult whom has lived all over the world, as opposed to the misogyistic ignorant man that he is whom has never even left the country, I once again asked for his co-operation. NO. What a nasty piece of work he is. If he cares so much about Mam, then he would want to make sure her best interests are looked after right? well no, Darling Uncle Eddie is all about the money and what's in the Will. How sick is that? What is wrong with people today that instead of seeing a sick person that is clearly losing their mind, they think, AHA!!!, maybe I can influence her to change her will and get what I can for my own children.

I just don't understand people anymore. Why do we hurt each other the way we do? Why do we go out of our way sometimes to make peoples lives difficult? Is life not difficult enough already that we need more angst and stress?? Why can we not be more compassionate to each other? Help to ease each others suffering? Why do we try to keep ourselves in this little bubble of self preservation and desire, not letting people in, trying to protect ourselves from the big bad world? Instead of trying to get the things we want why don't we just WANT the things that we get? How much easier would that be? For all of us.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm very sorry about the situation you find yourself in, and for your mother's condition. It's always hard to have to put one's dreams on hold for someone else, but that you do so tells me the kind of wonderful person you are.
    Secondly, people like your Uncle act like that because of how they are raised, and because of today's society. It's ALL about me-me-me. The schools teach kids they are precious, special little snowflakes, that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter, then they can't handle the real world. Because life is NOT fair, and nothing is free.
    I hope that the Aricept works for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear...I'm delighted to see your post, and sorry to hear about your Uncle Eddie. Some folks seem to exist primarily to serve as a burden to the rest of us - he would seem to qualify.

    I, too, hope the Aricept works for your Mam, and you HAVE been making major progress in creating order from chaos...and soon you will have a device to cook in and upon!

    GC

    ReplyDelete